Thursday 17 March 2016

Hello My Name is Paul Smith at the Lighthouse, Glasgow

The Lighthouse, Glasgow is a centre for Design and Architecture, located in the former Glasgow Herald Building. The Building was designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh and there is an excellent Mackintosh Discovery Centre on the Third Floor. This amazing glass stair is in the Mackintosh Tower and I love this view straight up the centre! 
The Mackintosh Tower in The Lighthouse, Glasgow
I have seen some great exhibitions in The Lighthouse and always enjoy a look around the Mackintosh Centre. I had been hoping to make a trip to Glasgow while the Paul Smith Exhibition was still on and I made it just before it ended! I visited this Exhibition at the Design Museum in London a couple of years ago and enjoyed it so much that I really wanted to see it again.

Knitwear at the Paul Smith Exhibition
The videos of the catwalk shows were fascinating and I really enjoyed the interview with Paul Smith. He comes across as very friendly and most of all, he always looks like he is enjoying himself. In fact, this shines through the whole exhibition. 

"Inside Paul's Head" combines a thoughtful narrative with moving images in a spectacular arrangement of screens and mirrors. Paul Smith's view of the world is full of colour and shape and you can see more of his images if you follow him on Instagram (#takenbypaul).

Inside Paul's Head
The button wall is so impressive! I am having a bit of a button moment just now so perhaps my recent purchases should be added to my wall like this?

Paul Smith Button Wall

Paul Smith Button Wall
When I last saw the exhibition I was still working on my City & Guilds Diploma and it was particularly inspiring to see the workshop desk covered in design material from swatches and yarn wraps to artwork and graphics. I had just been working on a colour project that was full of yarn wraps, so it was great to see the Paul Smith yarn wraps displayed as part of the overall design development.

Paul Smith Workshop

Paul Smith Workshop
I do wonder how the Paul Smith mini made it to the first floor landing! 

Paul Smith Mini
The colour theme is carried on in the Long Gallery at the Lighthouse in the interesting display of Colour Strategies in Architecture, looking at the way colour is used in buildings. 
Colour Strategies in Architecture 
No visit to the Lighthouse would be complete without a trip to the top and a look at this fantastic view of Glasgow.

View from the top of the Lighthouse

No comments:

Post a Comment