Saturday 13 October 2012

The Knitting and Stitching Show

I have just got home from a great day at Alexandra Palace.
So many great exhibitors and lots to see and do.
I took part in an e textiles workshop and discovered how to make a circuit using conductive thread to light up some small leds. Our tutor, Rosie from Goldsmith's College, also showed us examples of applied circuits. These included bendy fabric keyboards, a solar powered backpack for charging devices and gloves with conductive material in the tips so that you can work you touchscreen devices without taking off your gloves. Fantastic!


A visit to John Allen's exhibition was very inspiring and his carpets based on landscape were beautiful.  We have been hearing about the development of the carpets in his Design Group and it was great to see the completed work. John talked to us about the 'cutting in' technique he used to highlight features on the carpets.

My button collection has grown again after a stop at the Textile Garden stand. Cant wait to design garments to put these buttons and fastenings on.



My last workshop was learning to make a wire crochet bracelet with beads. Although I found it fiddly at first, I was very happy with the results. Tutor Kath was very helpful and I found out how to add the fastenings too. All in an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment